Victory in Christ Jesus | You're "More Than Conquerors"
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: This brief devotional sermon will remind you of the victory — not defeat! — that is the privilege of those who serve Jesus Christ.
The faith-building theme of this sermon is victory in Jesus Christ. As a follower of the Lord, you don’t have to go through life downtrodden and defeated. Come see what it means to be on the winning side!
1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
There are four thoughts in this verse that will encourage you.
- •• (1) Victory in Jesus is yours. God has no intention of allowing you to lose the battles of life.
•• (2) This victory in Christ our Lord is something that God “gives” us. We don’t have to earn it. No! Like salvation, Jesus' victory given to you is a free gift of God’s grace.
•• (3) As is true of so many of the things of God, victory is given us by God “through our Lord Jesus Christ”. Thus the expression, and the title of the famous song: "Victory in Jesus"! Since Jesus is Lord of all (Acts 10:36), He can and will triumph in all situations.
- • 2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ.
• So we may boldly proclaim “victory in Jesus!”
- •• (4) Ongoing victory in Christ in this fallen, hostile world is something for which to give “thanks...to God”.
Romans 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
This verse repeats some of the themes of the previous verse and adds some insights.
- •• (5) Once again, living victoriously (conquering our obstacles) comes “through him [Jesus]”. Remember Christ’s words:
- • John 16:33b "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." Remember, Jesus is Lord of all (Acts 10:36), including Lord over all this world's troubles.
- •• (6) Against all foes, the Lord makes you “more than conquerors”.
•• (7) This victory in Christ, this conquering, is broad-based and pervasive — “...in all these things ... conquerors”.
•• (8) And this empowerment, this enabling to conquer, is an expression of Jesus’ love for us (vs. 35 — “the love of Christ”).
2 Corinthians 2:14, KJV Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ...
This final verse, like the previous two, has some uplifting, encouraging promises.
- •• (9) Again, the promised triumph is “in Christ”. A daily, close walk with Jesus is a source of great victory against the world, the flesh, and the devil.
•• (10) This provision to us of God-given victory in Christ is worthy of much “thanks ... unto God”. Don’t take it for granted. Thank God daily for making you triumphant, a conqueror, a victor in Jesus Christ.
•• (11) Earlier we saw words such as “victory” and “conquerors”. In this verse we see another synonym — “triumph”. By now the pattern is clear. Victory, conquering, triumph, overcoming — these are God’s plan for those who receive and follow His Son, Jesus Christ.
•• (12) How often can we expect God to give us victory in Jesus Christ? “Always!” The Scripture promises us that God will “always cause us to triumph in Christ”.
- • God gives us the victory that Jesus earned for us.
• He makes us more than conquerors.
• He makes us triumphant overcomers.
• He brings us these victories through Jesus Christ.
• Victory in Jesus is a free gift of God. We don’t have to earn it.
• This God-given victory through Jesus is broad-based (“in all these things”).
• Ours is an “always” victory. It is not hit-or-miss.
• We are made victorious because of Jesus’ love for us.
• Remember to thank God that through Jesus you're on the winning side!
One final thought: you might be wondering how to have victory in Christ. The answer is in our Bible verses above: Victory comes "through our Lord Jesus Christ ... [believers are] conquerors through Him ... [and always] triumph in Christ." He is the ultimate Victor over sin, sickness, death, and the devil. So you just determine to walk closely with Jesus each day. He said, "I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20). And the "Lord of all" who is with you always will always give you the victory and cause you to triumph, as His Word clearly promises.
Check out our featured article: "Who Is Jesus Christ? God? Man? Both?"
Subscribe (always free)
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our
sermon on Victory in Christ Jesus,
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2010, 2015, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.