Draw Near to God | How to Get Closer to God
Summary: Most Christians want to know how to get closer to God. You can draw near to God and experience that desired intimacy with Him by following a few simple biblical principles.
Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
- •• When you determine to get closer to God, be assured that you are not presuming or imposing, because God is “draw[ing] you”. He loves you, and He loves to draw you close to Him. That being the desire of His heart, it is good and uplifting for you to draw near to God often.
•• As you draw close to God in prayer, in worship, and in His Word the Bible, remember and be encouraged by the fact that He loves you!
•• And know that His love for you is “everlasting;” it won’t disappear because you’ve faltered or sinned.
Psalm 55:17, KJV Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
- •• Jesus modeled prayer, and He prayed extensively. He taught His followers to pray. Paul spoke often of his continual prayers. The apostles in Jerusalem “gave themselves to prayer” (Acts 6:4).
•• A suggestion from this verse — try a three-times-daily prayer schedule.
- (1) Tape a note on the bathroom mirror to make morning prayer a priority, the first thing you do, if even briefly.
(2) Put a note on your bedside end table to pray last thing at night.
(3) Set aside one period of time during the day to pray.
• These can be short times; just try be faithful to them.
Psalm 119:164 Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.
- •• Consciously, deliberately cultivate the habit of uttering brief exclamations of praise and worship to God throughout the day.
- • This develops a God- and Christ-awareness in us.
Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and i will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
- •• “Come to [Jesus].” He wants you close to Him. He’s called “the Bridegroom” of the bride. That means He loves you.
•• Are you feeling “weary” and “burdened”? That’s the time, not to “zone out,” but to “come to” Jesus.
•• You’ll find gentleness there with Him, not scolding or reproof. He will “give you rest ... for your soul.”
- • So come — and come often daily — to Jesus.
Hebrews 4:14-16 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are — yet was without sin.  Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
- •• As you come with confidence to Jesus on His throne of grace, remember that He sympathizes with your weaknesses; He does not despise them (or you!).
•• Remember that the Savior you are approaching has been through what you are going through. He was “tempted in every way, just as we are”, yet without sinning.
•• In the Son of God's presence you will find, not condemnation, but “mercy and ... grace”.
James 4:7-8a Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and he will come near to you.
8a, KJV Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.
- •• “Submit yourselves, then, to God.” This means we basically abandon ourselves to Him and place ourselves totally in His hands.
•• “[You] draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.”
- • Let your heart's desire echo the title of the famous hymn Nearer My God to Thee. God expects us to take some initiative in drawing closer to Him. As we do, He reciprocates — guaranteed! This means you can always be close to God, if you choose to draw near to Him.
You might like our related sermon: Closeness to God | How Close Is God to You? And You to God?
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our sermon on
Draw Near to God | How to Get Closer to God
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©1999, 2015, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons & Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.