A Bible Study on Spiritual Healing and How to Receive It
- Summary: The bible shows Jesus healing the multitudes. Jesus still heals today. Let’s look at how the people healed by the Lord “positioned” themselves to receive divine healing.
Explanatory note: I am using the term "spiritual healing" here not in the sense of inner, emotional healing, but as a frequently-used synonym for supernatural, divine healing of the body. That is, spiritual healing in contrast to natural sources of healing such as the medical field. Note: I'm not opposed to those, but I wish rather from the Scriptures to grow and increase your faith for God's higher spiritual realm of healing.
Matthew 4:23-24 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.  News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed, and he healed them.
- •• Jesus went about “teaching ... preaching ... and healing every disease and sickness among the people.”
- • Let’s look at some of the bible’s instances of healing to see if we can find how people got themselves “positioned” for divine healing.
- (1) “News about Him spread” — Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). Faith for healing will come as people hear the “news” about Jesus the Healer.
(2) “People brought to him all who were ill” — they were active, not passive, in seeking healing.
Matthew 8:2-3 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”  Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cured of his leprosy.
- (3) “[The leper] came and knelt” — a reverent attitude. After all, we are approaching Deity for healing!
(4) “...You can make me clean” — He came with assurance, with confidence in Christ’s healing abilities.
Matthew 8:5-10, 13 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a [Roman] centurion came to him, asking for help....  The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.  For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one ,‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”  When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, “I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith....  Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that very hour.
- (5) “[The] centurion came to him, asking for help” — For spiritual healing, as with all needs, come boldly to His throne of grace, to find grace to help in time of need.
- • Come asking, not just waiting to see what happens.
• There is great and effectual power in prayers for healing.
• There is also great power in believing God for the parallel blessing of good health, as we teach in our study entitled Alternative Health from God.
Matthew 9:2, 6-7 Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.” ...  ... Then he said to the paralytic, “Get up, take your mat and go home.”  And the man got up and went home.
- (6) “Jesus saw their faith", including the faith of those who “brought... [the] paralytic”.
- • Sometimes it’s your faith on behalf of another person that secures the healing.
Matthew 9:20-22 Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak.  She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.”  Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “Your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed from that moment.
- (7) Such wonderful simplicity of heart — “If I only touch his cloak...”
- • Jesus honored her simple faith — “Your faith has healed you.”
• Not profound theology, but the “simplicity ... in Christ.”
Matthew 9:27-30a As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!”  ... and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied.  Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith will it be done to you”;  and their sight was restored.
- (8) “[The] two blind men followed Him” — They were aggressive, they took the initiative in seeking healing.
(9) They “followed Him, calling out...” — Not embarrassed by what others might think.
(10) “ ‘Do you believe that I am able to do this?’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ they replied.” — Not just some vague notion of faith, but total confidence in Jesus’ ability to heal.
Matthew 20:30-34 Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, “Lord, Son of David, Have mercy on us!” The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!”  Jesus stopped and called them. “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.  “Lord,” they answered, “we want our sight.”  Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.
- (11) “[The] two blind men...shouted, ... ‘Lord ... Have mercy on us!” — My first pastor taught us that it’s always safe to trust in God’s great mercy for healing.
(12) “The crowd rebuked them...but they shouted all the louder” — persistence in their petition, like the woman before the judge (Luke 18:1-8) and like the man seeking bread at midnight (Luke 11:5-8).
(13) “ ‘Lord...we want our sight.’ Jesus had compassion on them and...they received their sight.”
- • Trust in the tenderness of Jesus’ heart to be touched by your physical need.
Our more in-depth bible study of this topic may be viewed at Divine Healing | Spiritual Healing. An extensive and inspiring collection of sermons and bible studies on healing may be viewed at Divine Healing Articles.
You'll find a large collection of divine healing Bible verses at our "Healing Scriptures/Healing Bible Verses to Give You Faith to Be Healed"
Subscribe (always free)
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our
sermon on Spiritual Healing in the Bible,
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2001, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.