The "Alternative Medicine" of God's Divine Healing and Health
- Summary: God heals! That is a clear message of Scripture. A related bible truth, often overlooked, is that God can and will keep you in good health. Any discussion of health or healing should begin with God's willingness and ability to provide these things. Follow these easy bible instructions for good health.
James 5:14 Is any one of you [Christian believers] sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him...
- • The early church leader James understood that Christians may get sick. James also knew that God has solutions to sickness.
• One of those solutions is divine healing — or what some call “spiritual healing” or “faith healing”.
• Another of God’s solutions to sickness is divine health. And that very relevant and needed experience is the subject of our bible study today.
Sometimes we overlook God’s natural instructions concerning actions that lead to good health. For example, God gave Old Testament Israel clear, written instructions about:
- • good sanitation procedures
• regular washing
• isolation, even quarantine, of the sick (Parents, please don’t put a sick child in the church nursery!)
• healthy dietary instructions. If you stuff yourself with junk food, your health will suffer, even if you pray for hours!
Exodus 15:26 He said, “If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you.”
- • God is a healer. Jesus still heals today. But God also keeps His people in good health. And that is what I refer to with the expression "divine health from God". You can experience God's divine intervention to keep you in good health, over and above the best efforts of man.
• He promises that He will “not bring on you any of the diseases...”
- • If you listen carefully to Him
• If you do what is right in His eyes
• If you pay attention to His commands
• If you keep all His decrees. In other words, if you serve God faithfully
- • God urges us to be God-fearing, Word-obeying people. One reward of that is a greater preservation from diseases.
Psalm 38:3-5, 7 Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; my bones have no soundness because of my sin.  My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.  My wounds fester and are loathsome because of my sinful folly....  My back is filled with searing pain; there is no health in my body.
- • Good health can be forfeited by unrepented sin — “because of my sin ... my guilt ... my sinful folly.”
- • The solution is verse 18 — “I confess my iniquity.”
• Don’t let the guilt of unrepented sin rob you of God’s provision of good health. Confess that sin, repent of it, and forsake it. Please note: I am not saying that all bad health is because of unrepented sin. But these verses do clearly tell us that ongoing sin in our lives may be the cause of some ill health — "because of my sin."
Proverbs 3:7-8 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.  This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
- • Three health-generating actions:
- • Humility — “Do not be wise in your own eyes”
• “Fear the Lord.”
• “Shun evil.”
- • “This will bring health to your body.”
Proverbs 4:20, 22 My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my WORDS ...  for they are ... health to a man’s whole body.
- • Good health comes to our whole body from two kinds of words:
- 1) The Word of God, as here in context
2) The words of the wise, as here (for example, the wise instruction given by parents to their children)
Proverbs 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
- • Both verses bring the same message: our emotional outlook greatly affects our bodily health. Even some of the secular disciplines of "alternative medicine" and "holistic medicine" recognize this biblical truth — that is, our physical health is significantly affected by our soul-and-spirit health.
- • Heart at peace —> life
• Envious heart —> rots the bones
• Cheerful heart —> good medicine
• Crushed spirit —> dries up the bones
• That’s why it’s so important to “Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, Rejoice!”
- • Your emotional state will have a profound impact on your physical health.
Proverbs 15:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.
- • “Good news gives health.” Do you want to have a beneficial influence on the health of those around you?
- • Be a positive person; focus on the good around you.
• Carry around a cheerful look.
Ephesians 6:2-3 “Honor your father and mother” — which is the first commandment with a promise —  “that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
- • Good health leading to a long life follows those who honor their parents.
- • How are you doing on this one?
• It’s never too late to begin honoring your parents, or their memory. God will bless you for doing so.
1 Peter 2:24 ...by his wounds you have been healed.
- • Good health and healing are already bought for you!
- • They are part of the price Jesus paid for you.
3 John 2, KJV Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy SOUL prospereth.
- • We are “fearfully and wonderfully made” — including the “psyche-soma” link, that is, the interaction upon one another of soul and body. The medical term is “psychosomatic.” It is well documented that there is a distinct psychosomatic element in enjoying good health.
- • Seek to prosper in your inner man, in your inward, heart-level walk with God. It will have beneficial effects in causing good health.
Summary of some keys to walking in divine health:
- • God-given natural precautions — sanitation, cleanliness, good diet...
• A wholesome fear of God, coupled with obeying His Word
• Immediately repenting of known sin
• Living in humility, shunning evil
• Listening to the Word of God and the words of wise Christians
• Maintaining a cheerful heart, full of the joy of the Lord
• Keeping a positive, cheerful, “good news” outlook
• Honoring your parents; it’s never too late!
• Remembering that Jesus already paid the price for good health and healing
• Focus on your inward walk with God, so that your soul prospers, resulting in good health!
We invite you to read our related bible studies on Divine Healing | Spiritual Healing and Growing in Faith for Divine Healing.
Pastor Feeney has shorter, related sermon outlines entitled Receive Divine Healing and The Power of Healing Prayer for the Sick, and more, which can be found at Divine Healing Articles.
Type a few keywords into the
search box to find more of our
sermons on topics of interest
Sharing is great!
If this message has blessed you,
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2006, 2016 James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.