Christian Ministry Made More Powerful and Effective by the Anointing
- Summary: Are you satisfied with the effectiveness and fruitfulness of your Christian ministry? This sermon outline will show how the anointing of the Holy Spirit will lift you to another level, a level of power and victory, in your ministry.
Acts 10:36-38 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.  You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached —  how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
- •• These verses speak of a dramatic change in the earthly ministry of Jesus. All four Gospels speak of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus from heaven at the River Jordan (Matthew 3:16, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:22, and John 1:33-34).
- • Prior to that Holy Spirit anointing, we have no record of Jesus preaching publicly.
• Prior to that anointing, Jesus had performed no miracles (see John 2:11, His first miracle, which occurred after His anointing).
• Here is the sequence: First Jesus was “anointed ... with the Holy Spirit and power...” and only then does the bible record that He “went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil”.
• The anointing of the Holy Spirit was the catalyst to bring Jesus to another level of publicly demonstrated power and ministry.
- •• There is for all of US another level of Christian ministry, and the same anointing of the Holy Spirit that brought Jesus into it is the catalyst to bring us to that higher level of ministry. Power-filled, Holy Ghost ministry is available to you by the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
- • 2 Corinthians 1:21 Now he which ... hath anointed US is God.
• That Holy Spirit anointing is also for us.
• It came upon the original 120 disciples in power when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4-5, 8; 2:1-4).
• The anointing came upon the new believers among the Gentiles when they received that same Pentecostal anointing that the 120 had received (Acts 10:44-46; 11:15-17).
• The anointing brought the Ephesian believers into another level — speaking in tongues and prophesying — when the Holy Spirit came upon them (Acts 19:6).
• An important, related point must be noted here. In each instance of the Holy Spirit baptism/filling coming upon the believers in Acts 2, Acts 10, and Acts 19, their anointing with the Holy Spirit was certified by the evidence of speaking in tongues.
- •• As it did with Jesus, here is what the anointing can do for you:
- • After the anointing, Jesus “went around” — the anointing launches you into ministry situations. The anointing can lead you into previously undiscovered realms of Christian ministry.
• For me, after I was baptized with the Holy Spirit in April, 1971, ministry opportunities began to present themselves with great frequency.
• “He went around doing good” — there is a higher level, a level of effective action, that follows from the Holy Spirit’s anointing.
• After the anointing, Jesus began “healing the sick” — and so can you!
• By the anointing you can begin to loose people from devilish bondages as Jesus often did.
- •• There is another level in God. It is a product of the baptism with the Holy Spirit and the accompanying release of God’s anointing in your life. Aspire to that enhanced level of Holy Spirit-anointed ministry.
1 Samuel 10:1, 6, 10 Then Samuel took a flask of oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the LORD anointed you leader over his inheritance? ...  The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person....  When they arrived at Gibeah, a procession of prophets met him; the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he joined in their prophesying.
- •• (vs. 1) It was Samuel who poured on the oil, but it was “the LORD [who] anointed” Saul.
•• (vs. 6) The bottom line? By the Lord’s anointing “you will be changed into a different person”!
- • That’s what I need! I want to be changed, I want to reach a place of greater productivity in the Lord and in the success and effectiveness of my Christian ministry.
- •• Let the “Spirit of the Lord come upon you in power.”
- • Begin to prophesy (vss. 6, 10).
• By association, begin to be used in other spiritual gifts.
• Begin to confront the devil with power.
• Begin to be Christ's witness with boldness and convicting power, not just with persuasive words of man's wisdom.
- •• Saul was a timid young man, but after the anointing “he joined in their prophesying.”
- • By the Lord’s anointing, step up another level and join in things you never felt you could do before.
John 5:19-20 Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.  For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these.
- •• There is a higher level than us trying to figure things out with our limited intellects and human wisdom.
•• It involves resolving to “do nothing by [your]self” (vs. 19).
- • My plans may not be God’s plans.
• My thoughts may not be His thoughts.
• My good intentions may contradict His perfect plan.
- •• There is another level of Christian ministry where, like Jesus, you resolve to “do only what [you] see [your heavenly] Father doing.”
- • ...a level where, moment to moment, decision to decision, your heart cry is: “Father, show me all that you are doing.”
• That is the level on which I want to walk.
John 7:37-39 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”  By this he meant the Spirit...
- •• There is another level, a level where you “flow” in the Holy Spirit.
- • It is a level where “streams of living [Holy Spirit] water” will flow from within you.
• Not learned or memorized ways of doing things, but flowing, spontaneous, life-giving actions.
- •• How do we experience all this? —
- (1) Come to Jesus [vs. 37].
(2) Acknowledge your thirst for these things [vs. 37].
(3) Believe in Jesus; I mean really believe! [vs. 38]
(4) Drink deeply of all that Jesus is and of all that He has provided for you [vs. 37].
There is another level of Christian ministry power and effectiveness for each of us. Jesus wants you to walk in it.
- •• Hunger and thirst for it.
•• Be satisfied with nothing less.
•• Believe that Jesus has more for you.
•• Come to Him to receive it.
•• Open your heart wide and drink deeply of the Holy Spirit anointing for powerful Christian ministry that Jesus has for you personally.
Click the blue links to go to our free
Pentecostal Sermon Index or
our Online Bible Studies
©2003, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.