Christian Ministry at A Higher Level of Effectiveness by the Anointing
Summary: Are you satisfied with the effectiveness and fruitfulness of your Christian ministry? This sermon outline will show how the anointing of the Holy Spirit will lift you to another level, a level of power and victory, in your ministry.
Acts 10:36-38 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.  You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached —  how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
•• These verses speak of a dramatic change in the earthly ministry of Jesus. All four Gospels speak of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus from heaven at the River Jordan (Matthew 3:16, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:22, and John 1:33-34).
• Prior to that Holy Spirit anointing, we have no record of Jesus preaching publicly.
• Prior to that anointing, Jesus had performed no miracles (see John 2:11, His first miracle, which occurred after His anointing).
• Here is the sequence: First Jesus was “anointed ... with the Holy Spirit and power...” and only then does the bible record that He “went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil”.
•• There is for all of US another level of Christian ministry, and the same anointing of the Holy Spirit that brought Jesus into it is the catalyst to bring us to that higher level of ministry. Power-filled, Holy Ghost ministry is available to you by the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
• 2 Corinthians 1:21 Now he which ... hath anointed US is God.
• That Holy Spirit anointing is also for us.
• It came upon the original 120 disciples in power when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4-5, 8; 2:1-4).
• The anointing came upon the new believers among the Gentiles when they received that same Pentecostal anointing that the 120 had received (Acts 10:44-46; 11:15-17).
• The anointing brought the Ephesian believers into another level — speaking in tongues and prophesying — when the Holy Spirit came upon them (Acts 19:6).
•• There is another level in God. It is a product of the baptism with the Holy Spirit and the accompanying release of God’s anointing in your life. Aspire to that enhanced level of Holy Spirit-anointed ministry.
1 Samuel 10:1, 6, 10 Then Samuel took a flask of oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the LORD anointed you leader over his inheritance? ...  The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person....  When they arrived at Gibeah, a procession of prophets met him; the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he joined in their prophesying.
•• (vs. 1) It was Samuel who poured on the oil, but it was “the LORD [who] anointed” Saul.
•• (vs. 6) The bottom line? By the Lord’s anointing “you will be changed into a different person”!
• That’s what I need! I want to be changed, I want to reach a place of greater productivity in the Lord and in the success and effectiveness of my Christian ministry.
•• Let the “Spirit of the Lord come upon you in power.”
• Begin to be Christ's witness with boldness and convicting power, not just with persuasive words of man's wisdom.
•• Saul was a timid young man, but after the anointing“he joined in their prophesying.”
• By the Lord’s anointing, step up another level and join in things you never felt you could do before.
John 5:19-20 Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.  For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these.
•• There is a higher level than us trying to figure things out with our limited intellects and human wisdom.
•• It involves resolving to “do nothing by [your]self”(vs. 19).
• My plans may not be God’s plans.
• My thoughts may not be His thoughts.
• My good intentions may contradict His perfect plan.
•• There is another level of Christian ministry where, like Jesus, you resolve to “do only what [you] see [your heavenly] Father doing.”
• ...a level where, moment to moment, decision to decision, your heart cry is: “Father, show me all that you are doing.”
• That is the level on which I want to walk.
John 7:37-39 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”  By this he meant the Spirit...
•• There is another level, a level where you “flow” in the Holy Spirit.