by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
Summary: Jesus began His miraculous ministry only after His anointing by the Holy Spirit. How can we expect to succeed without that same Holy Spirit anointing in us? Let's look today at how we can experience a greater anointing of the Holy Spirit in our lives and ministries.
Acts 10:38 ...how GOD ANOINTED JESUS of Nazareth with the HOLY SPIRIT and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil...
•• Isaiah 10:27, KJV “...the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.”
• By the anointing of the Holy Spirit, Jesus healed the sick.
• By the anointing of the Holy Spirit, Jesus overcame the power of the devil.
• Jesus did His first-ever miracle (John 2:11) only after His anointing by the Spirit (John 1:32f).
2 Corinthians 1:21 Now it is God who ... anointed us.
•• If Jesus needed the anointing of the Holy Spirit, how much more do we mere mortals need it?
•• Paul wrote that God anoints US.
• John declared: “YOU have an anointing...”
•• Many times I’ve sensed the anointing while ministering the Word of God.
• I have sensed that anointing at times when praying for the sick.
• I experienced that anointing keenly at my baptism with the Holy Spirit in 1971 in Anchorage, Alaska.
• You and I need that anointing — and a greater measure of it than we have experienced to date.
Luke 4:18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,  to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
•• Jesus said He was anointed by the Spirit “TO preach ... TO proclaim ... TO release...”
•• God wants to anoint you to do certain things — not everything, but certain things.
• God has given me an anointing to teach His Word.
• God has given me an anointing to counsel men who are in or coming into ministry.
• God has not given me an anointing for street-corner evangelism.
•• Key point: Focus your ministry efforts where you are anointed.
• You will find success and will bear fruit where God has called you and for that purpose has anointed you.
2 Kings 3:15-16 “But now bring me a harpist.” While the HARPIST WAS PLAYING, the hand of the Lord came upon Elisha  and he said, “This is what the Lord says...”
•• The kings of Israel, Judah, and Edom needed a word from the Lord and went to see Elisha the prophet.
• Elisha called for music, then he heard from God.
•• Music — the worship service, Christian CDs, personal, individual singing to the Lord — can wonderfully stir up the anointing in you.
• See how important the worship service is!
•• There’s a broader principle here — beneficial spiritual influences (here, music) will help you to stir up the anointing.
• Prayer ... quiet meditation ... devotional bible reading ... Christian background music ...
2 Kings 2:9b [Elisha said] “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit...”
•• To increase the anointing, seek that increase. Elisha was seeking a double-portion, a greater measure of, that spiritual anointing.
• Paul said to “covet” spiritual gifts.
• Jesus said to “press into” the things of the kingdom of God.
John 1:33f ...[It] is He who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.  I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.
•• Jesus is the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit. To move in the anointing of God, you need the baptism with the Holy Spirit, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
•• To increase in the anointing, remember always that your Savior Jesus is the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit.
• And remember (John 3:34) that Jesus received the Spirit “without limit.”
• So He can surely anoint you with a greater measure of the Spirit than you now have. How?...
John 7:37-39 ...“If anyone is thirsty, let him COME TO ME and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” By this He meant THE SPIRIT..."
•• Come to Jesus to drink deeply of the Holy Spirit.
• The anointing in our lives begins with this baptism with the Holy Spirit. But it doesn't end there.
• Jesus has the Spirit without measure with which to anoint us.
•• That greater anointing that we need comes from Jesus!
©2003, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.