The Anointing of the Holy
Spirit Brings Freedom
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: The Holy Spirit’s powerful anointing brings freedom, liberty, and deliverance. And that anointing is available to empower you for ministry!
Isaiah 10:27, KJV And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the [Assyrian] yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
- •• Various versions translate Isaiah 10:27 differently. In any case, the liberating, freedom-providing power of the anointing in other Bible verses validates the King James Version’s sense of bringing freedom from bondage.
•• The anointing in the New Testament is the empowering by the Holy Spirit, which comes in the baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5,8; 2:1-4).
- • Acts 10:38 ...how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power...
• Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me..." — anointed for what? As we will see, the anointing of the Holy Spirit brings freedom, deliverance, liberty!
Luke 4:18-19 The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,  to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.
KJV: ...to preach deliverance to the captives ... to set at liberty them that are bruised.
- •• The anointing brings FREEDOM!
- • And remember 1 John 2:20 — “You have an anointing from the Holy One...”
- •• As a Spirit-anointed Christian, begin to look for “the prisoners ... the oppressed ... the captives ... the bruised”.
- • You have a blessed gift for them — freedom, release, deliverance, liberty.
• How? “The Spirit of the Lord...has anointed” you to bring deliverance, release, and freedom to bound, captive people.
- •• Back in the 1970s I was at a bible study in a small town in Alaska. During the post-bible study ministry time, a lady asked for prayer for serious arthritis. A Spirit-filled woman present, by the prompting of the Holy Spirit, discerned that this lady had bitterness in her heart over a family issue. She led the woman to repentance, then prayed for her and saw a dramatic healing. The Holy Ghost anointing brought freedom to the sick lady — freedom from her sin of bitterness and freedom from her arthritis.
•• Many years ago my wife and I were praying for a severely demon-possessed woman in Alaska. After hours of ministry, we were getting nowhere, it seemed. So we stopped to pray for the Lord’s wisdom. Immediately the Holy Spirit spoke a revelation to me concerning what had opened that unsaved woman up to demonic possession. We immediately addressed that issue, and in short order the woman was delivered of the demons, born again, filled with the Spirit, speaking in tongues, and laughing for joy. The next Sunday she was in church. Again, by the anointing of the Holy Spirit, guidance and power for deliverance were given, and the lady was dramatically freed from her bondage and into the liberty of being a born-again daughter of God. The anointing brings freedom!
•• Some years ago a young man of my acquaintance in Oregon had a seizure and was subsequently diagnosed with what the doctor called “the onset of epilepsy”. A minister friend of mine, who was in Alaska and was completely unaware of this situation, had a Holy-Ghost revelation relating to this need. We then joined with him in prayer for the young man. And today, several decades later, there has not been one recurrence of the seizures. The anointing brings freedom!
•• “Yokes” of bondage can be physical illnesses. The yokes can be emotional captivity, such as fears, insecurities, and the like. They can be spiritual, such as the demon-possessed woman that I described above.
- • ALL these yokes can be broken and destroyed by the ministry of Spirit-anointed believers. You!
• “These signs will follow them that believe”!
Acts 10:38 ...how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
KJV: “healing all that were oppressed of the devil”
- •• Spirit-filled believers are anointed to heal. Every believer can lay hands on the sick and see them recover (Mark 16:17-18). Let the Holy Spirit anointing take that to an even higher level, including miraculous healings, instantaneous healings.
- • Peter said, “Such as I have give I thee” (Acts 3:6, KJV). And he raised the lame man from his years of infirmity. The anointing brings freedom!
- •• Spirit-filled believers are anointed to bring people deliverance from the oppression of the devil (vs. 38).
- • The demon-controlled woman I spoke of above was under the devil’s virtually total oppression. She needed deliverance in the fullest measure. She was suicidal and self-injurious. But as promised, the Holy Spirit’s anointing on the believers praying for her deliverance brought her complete liberty from the devil’s grip. The anointing brings freedom!
Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,  to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn,  and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
- •• A few additional thoughts in closing.
•• We are anointed to bring “release from darkness”.
- • Expect to be witnesses with power.
• As you share the word of the Lord, expect those in darkness to come into great light.
• Ask for words of knowledge.
• Ask for precisely the right Scriptures to share.
• Expect light to dawn upon the spiritual darkness.
- •• Expect those you minister to under the anointing to put on a “crown of beauty instead of ashes”.
•• Expect those you minister to under the anointing to experience “the oil of gladness instead of mourning”.
•• Expect those you minister to under the anointing to put on “a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair”.
- • The yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
• You have an anointing from the Holy One.
• Go in that anointing, seek out the captives, the prisoners, the bruised, those in darkness.
• Speak the word of God. Pray by the Spirit of God.
• Expect God to confirm the Word you share with deliverance, with release, with setting at liberty those who have been bound.
• All yokes of bondage shall be destroyed because of the power of the Holy Spirit anointing.
• Go in that anointing and minister in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
• The anointing of the Holy Spirit brings freedom, liberty, and deliverance!
Click the blue links to other sermons at
our free Pentecostal Sermon Central or to
view our Pentecostal Bible Studies Online
©2004, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.