God's Supernatural Power Released in You
- Summary: Bombarded by TV talk shows, talk radio, and never-ending media ads, Americans are nearly talked to death! If this generation is to be reached with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it will have to be a Gospel confirmed by the supernatural power of God. This message will help point you in that direction.
Psalm 68:34-35 Proclaim the power of God...  the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people.
- •• That’s my desire today: to proclaim the supernatural power of God!
- • I recall a group of Christian high schoolers 30 years ago saying to their principal: “Mr. W__, we want to see a move of God.”
- • Most of Jerusalem rejected and killed Jesus.
- • Then came Pentecost! And 3,000 from among many of those same people in Jerusalem were saved!
- • Then the cripple was healed and thousands more were saved!
- •• Christians, don’t ever stop proclaiming the all-powerful God.
- • ...and the fact that He gives power to His people.
- • The great soulwinner Paul understood this.
1 Corinthians 2:4-5 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,  so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
- •• American Christianity has too many “wise and persuasive words” and not enough “demonstration of the Spirit’s power”.
- • Pulpits in thousands of mainline churches are filled with pastors with Ph.D.’s and Th.D.’s, but no supernatural power or anointing!
- • Entire denominations are shriveling up — they have conventions, conferences, great speeches, nice coffee hours and socials ... but no power of God!
- • Therefore, the people’s faith rests not on the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit, but on the eloquence of the preacher. And that is a tragedy, leaving many souls outside of God’s saving grace. Hungry souls are less impressed by what man can say or do in our own natural abilities than by what only God can do. And that is the essence of the "supernatural," which means "above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena." Seeing and hearing things that surpass mankind's highest abilities are what grabs people's attention and builds their faith.
1 Corinthians 4:20 ...the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.
- •• The American people are talked to death! They need to see God’s power!
- • They need to see divine healings, as at the Temple gate.
- • They need to hear a true “Thus says the Lord”.
- • They need to experience God's supernatural power, as the first church did at Pentecost.
- •• America is saturated with talk radio, TV talk shows, and church pulpits full of empty talk.
- • “The kingdom of God is not a matter of talk, but of power.”
1 Thessalonians 1:5 ...our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power...
- •• I saw my wife’s shortened leg stretched out instantaneously by God’s healing power.
- •• I saw her medically diagnosed infertility of six years healed, and then she bore us four wonderful children.
- •• We saw an Anchorage lady’s cancer healed.
- •• My wife and I saw a man in New York with no visible signs of life respond to the command, “You breathe, in the name of Jesus.”
- •• My faith stands in a gospel that comes forth with God's holy Word, but also with the manifested power of the Holy Ghost! I have seen it.
- • That's the New Testament pattern — HEAR and SEE the Gospel. Hear God's Word and see it confirmed with supernatural power.
Acts 10:38 ...how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how [only AFTER that ANOINTING with supernatural POWER!] he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil...
- •• Prior to the Holy Spirit anointing, Jesus performed no miracles! His very first miracle was subsequent to the anointing, at the wedding feast at Cana (John 2:11).
- • After the anointing, Jesus performed numerous healings, He did miracles, He walked on water, multiplied the loaves and fish, and much more.
- • And these supernatural signs of power caused many of His listeners to take heed to the things that He said.
- •• In obedience to the Great Commission, the disciples “went forth and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following” (Mark 16:20). And they did this after receiving an oupouring of spiritual power through the mighty baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5,8; 2:1-4). You too can be filled with the Spirit and power today!
- • We cannot improve on the pattern established by Jesus — God’s Word confirmed with God’s power!
1 Samuel 10:10-11 ...the Spirit of God came upon [Saul] in power, and he joined in their prophesying.  ... they asked each other, “What is this that has happened to the son of Kish? Is Saul also among the prophets?”
- •• Saul was timid, shy. The Holy Spirit came on him, and he began to prophesy.
- • People said, “What’s happened to Saul?!!”
- • It is God's power in us — God's supernatural power manifested in timid, weak human beings — that captures people’s attention.
- • Pray for His Spirit to fall on YOU in power. Remember Elisha and his request for a “double portion” of the Spirit that was upon Elijah (2 Kings 2:9). Pray for and expect to be used by God in supernatural ministry, including the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and not just in your natural abilities.
2 Chronicles 25:7-8 ...“O king [Amaziah of Judah], these troops from Israel must not march with you, for the LORD is not with Israel...  Even if you go and fight courageously in battle, God will overthrow you before the enemy, for God has the power to help or to overthrow.”
- •• To his credit, King Amaziah of Judah listened to the word from God and sent the hired Israelite troops home.
- • Don’t count on the arm of flesh ... the strength of numbers ... seeking strength through natural means.
- • Stop depending on what man can do.
- • Instead, confess and depend on the fact that “God has the power to help...”
Psalm 68:28 Summon your power, O God; show us your strength, O God, as you have done before.
- •• Let that be your prayer every day:
- • “Summon your power, O God.”
- • “Show us your strength, O God.”
- • “Pour out your power today, as you have done before.”
- • “Enable us to reach the multitudes, and let their faith stand not in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.”
Type a few keywords into the
search box to find more of our
sermons on topics of interest
Sharing is great!
If this message has blessed you,
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2006, 2015, 2018 James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.