Will God Save America? Can He? Yes! The Ultimate "God Bless America"
- Summary: Reinhard Bonnke, the German crusade-evangelist, has led 55 million Africans to salvation in Jesus Christ over the past ten years. Now the Lord has directed his focus upon the United States and a positive response to the question: "Can God save America?" The encouraging message I have written below was inspired by two sermons I heard him preach live recently at a missions conference in California.
I ask the Lord’s forgiveness. As I’ve watched America drift slowly, steadily into increasing godlessness and depravity, I began to lose hope for my country. Sexual promiscuity and perversion abound, innocent babies continue to be killed in the womb with governmental blessing(!), manners and civility seem to have vanished, and biblical faith and values are routinely mocked. In the midst of this I found myself losing sight of God’s unlimited power to change the hearts of individuals and even of entire nations. No more failing hope for me! Can America be saved? Yes! With man alone, this is impossible. But with God all things are possible.
Who cannot be moved by Kate Smith's stunning rendition of "God Bless America"? The greatest blessing of God upon America would be national revival leading to the salvation of millions through faith in the Savior, Jesus Christ. My fellow believers, pray for America. God can save her! No challenge is too difficult for the Lord.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- • God loves the world. Does He love the 55 million new African believers that Reinhard Bonnke’s ministry led to Christ in the past ten years? Certainly. Does He love the millions in communist China who are coming to Jesus in the underground church? Yes. But does God also have just as much love for the millions of Americans who have not yet responded to the Gospel? Absolutely! God loves America!
- • God’s love encompasses every nation of the world, including the USA. That love sent His Son Jesus from heaven to die for the sins of the drunk in the street and the executive at corporate headquarters. All have sinned and need the Savior. The terrible moral decline in America over the past half century or more does not disqualify the nation from God’s love. No! To the contrary, from heaven’s vantage point it means that America desperately needs the Savior, Jesus Christ. And that is precisely why God sent His Son to earth — to die for the sins of lost people, who have no hope at all without Christ in their life.
- • So, America, be reassured. God loves you, each of you. Jesus loves you. The Gospel of salvation in Jesus is being preached across our land — in crusades, in church pulpits, across the table over coffee, in conversations among friends, and in many other ways. I am encouraged to believe evangelist Reinhard Bonnke's bold declaration: "America shall be saved!"
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
- • Jesus saved lost, hopeless sinners in the first century, as recorded in the Scriptures. The same Jesus saves today.
- • Jesus saved souls among resistant people in the first century. Even considerable numbers of the previously hostile Jewish priests “became obedient to the faith” (Acts 6:7). Jesus does the same today. There is no category of persons that is immune to the Gospel. That blessed Gospel of Christ’s death for our sins, His burial, and His resurrection is “the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes” (Romans 1:16). Let that “everyone” encourage your heart. My fellow American Christians, don’t give up! The Good News is powerful. It can crack the hardest heart. It can turn any and every desperate, hopeless life into a thing of beauty. It can take a nation careening into godlessness and turn it into a shining “city set on a hill” (Matthew 5:14).
Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
- • One of the signs of the end is the Gospel being preached “in the whole world … to all nations.” That includes America. In fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy, I foresee the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ ringing forth powerfully in our nation in these latter days.
- • And as that happens, millions of Americans will turn to the Lord. Remember, the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who will believe (Romans 1:16). The message about Jesus Christ is not only words, but is a message backed by the power of God! Man’s highest wisdom and arts of persuasion are inadequate to the task, but God’s power is extraordinarily effective in turning the hearts of men and women (1 Corinthians 2:4-5).
- • In John 16:8, NASB, speaking of the Holy Spirit, Jesus said, “And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin…” When the Gospel is preached, the Holy Spirit of God is supremely capable of convicting men’s hearts of their sins.
- • Researchers estimate that about 45% of Americans are born again. That means that more than half of Americans do not know Jesus in a definite, personal way as their Savior. That means that today (2014) perhaps 175,000,000 Americans do not know Christ as Savior. Can they be saved? By us, no. But by Jesus, as the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, yes!
1 Thessalonians 1:5, NASB Our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction.
- • How is the Gospel to be presented in such a way that souls are won? The answer is, as in the first century, not only in word, but also in the power of the Holy Spirit. That's not just power to preach the word, although it certainly includes that. But it also means “…demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God” (1 Corinthians 2:4-5).
- • Along with His preaching and teaching, Jesus healed the sick, cleansed the lepers, cast out demons, opened blind eyes, and even raised the dead. The results? Multitudes believed in Him.
- • It was the same with the early Church recorded in the Bible. Peter’s preaching, associated with the dramatic signs of the Day of Pentecost, saw 3,000 saved and baptized in Jerusalem (Acts 2:1-41). Philip preached the Gospel in Samaria (Acts 8:5-8, 14) along with dramatic healings and exorcisms, and many in the city were saved. Acts 9:32-35 records the Lord using Peter to heal a paralytic. The result? Two whole towns, Lydda and Sharon, “turned to the Lord” (vs. 35). Later in that same chapter (vss. 36-42) we read of God using Peter to raise a woman from the dead, and when news of this spread, many more “believed in the Lord” (42).
- • This can and will happen in America. Spirit-filled men and women will tell others about Jesus Christ. Jesus empowered the early Church to heal the sick, cast out demons, and in many other ways manifest the power of the Holy Spirit. And this same Jesus will empower the Church in America (and in the world) today to manifest the power of the Holy Spirit in confirmation of the Gospel, and multitudes in America will be saved.
Matthew 3:11 [Referring to Jesus, John the Baptist said] I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He [Jesus] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- • On the first New Testament Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4), this was initially fulfilled. The Spirit of God came upon the assembled 120 with power. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they immediately evidenced this by speaking in tongues as the Spirit enabled them. It is vitally important to note that, prior to this experience of the baptism with the Spirit, Jesus had told His highly-trained disciples not to go forth yet until they had received this Holy Ghost “power from on high” (Luke 24:49).
- • They were now “baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire.” And the rest of the Book of Acts records the Spirit-filled disciples’ remarkable effectiveness in winning multitudes of new believers to the Lord.
- • America today needs preachers, teachers, and witnessers who are full of the Holy Spirit and fire! My friends, seek that Holy Spirit baptism. It is available for you today, and it will fill you with a fire that can kindle revival in America.
Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.”
- • “All the world” includes our beloved America — and your nation, for those reading this outside the USA. The Great Commission from Jesus Himself is our irresistible authorization to bring the message of salvation in Jesus Christ to every living soul in your nation, wherever you are.
- • In Acts 1:8 Jesus said, “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Begin at your Jerusalem (the USA, Brazil, Nigeria, Singapore, or wherever you are). Let the Lord ignite in you a vision for your country, a vision to see the Gospel preached, accompanied by signs and wonders, and multitudes come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
Isaiah 59:1, KJV Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save…
- • There is no restriction, no limit with God to save.
- • In Matthew 19:25-26 the disciples asked Jesus, “ ‘Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’ ”
- • Can God save America? Absolutely! Is it too late for America? No. A sign of the end is the Gospel being preached in all nations. God loves America. He sent His Son Jesus to die for the sins of America and the world. Jesus saved many 2,000 years ago, and He is the “same Jesus” today. He can and will save multitudes, even among the seemingly most resistant people. Our part in this is to share the Good News and to expect the Lord to confirm it with supernatural “signs following” (Mark 16:20). God is faithful, and He will respond mightily from heaven.
- • In faith and in hopeful expectation, add this to your prayer times:
God, save America!
Check out our helpful list of "Salvation Scriptures" (How to Be Saved)
You might also enjoy our related sermon: Bible Verses About Revival in the Last Days/End Times
Subscribe (always free)
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our sermon on
God Save America! Will He? Can He? Yes!
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2014, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.