by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: The mighty hand of God is ever ready to minister powerfully to us and through us.
1 Peter 5:6, KJV Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God.
- •• Let’s see how mighty the Lord’s hand can be in our lives.
Isaiah 48:12-13 Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last. My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens...
- •• The very creation was fashioned by the mighty hand of God!
Exodus 7:4-5 [Pharaoh] will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it.
- •• God’s mighty hand worked acts of judgment against His people’s enemies (Egypt) and brought deliverance to His people (Israel).
Joshua 4:22-24 Tell them, ‘Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.’ For the LORD your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The LORD your God did to the Jordan just what he had done to the Red Sea when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God.
- •• By His mighty hand God worked miracles, so that the people of this world would know that the hand of the Lord is powerful...
- •• ...and so that we might always fear the Lord.
Jeremiah 1:9 Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now, I have put my words in your mouth.
- •• In visual symbolism we see the mighty hand of God inspiring prophets with His word.
1 Kings 18:45-46 Meanwhile, the sky grew black with clouds, the wind rose, a heavy rain came on and Ahab rode off to Jezreel. The power of the Lord came upon Elijah and, tucking his cloak into his belt, he ran ahead of Ahab all the way to Jezreel.
46, KJV ...the hand of the LORD was on Elijah.
- •• The “hand”-power of the Lord for superhuman acts
Psalm 37:23-24 If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.
- •• God’s mighty hand upholds the righteous when they stumble.
Isaiah 41:10, 13 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.... For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
- •• No fear, no dismay! God holds our right hand and will help us.
John 10:27-29 My sheep...shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.
- •• We can find safety and security in the hands of God the Father and of Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:29-30 ...Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.
- •• The mighty hand of God brings healing and performs miraculous signs and wonders.
Acts 13:8-11 But Elymas the sorcerer ... opposed them and tried to turn the proconsul from the faith.... [Paul said] “Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind, and for a time you will be unable to see the light of the sun.” Immediately mist and darkness came over him....
- •• By His mighty hand God judges the enemies of the Gospel.
Acts 11:20-21 Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus. The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord.
- •• The Lord’s mighty hand brings evangelistic success.
Psalm 98:1, KJV O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
- •• In case your personal need was not specifically covered above, remember that the mighty hand of God is available, ready, and willing to bring you "the victory" that you need!
Click the blue links to go to our free
Pentecostal Sermon Central or our
Pentecostal Bible Studies Online
©1978, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.