What Is The Seed of God? 1) God's Word and 2) God's People
- Summary: The Lord is a very good Farmer! From heaven He sends two kinds of seed that are His primary tools to bring about a harvest of souls on earth. You have the privilege of being deeply involved in the sowing of both kinds of God's seeds: 1) God's Word and 2) God's people.
Matthew 13:24, 37-38 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field…  The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one…
- • Thankfully, Jesus interprets this parable for us. He tells us that “the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom.” That’s us! Christ’s born-again followers. The Lord sows us, His people, into this world (“the field”). We people of the kingdom of God are seeds of the kingdom of God.
- • We are sent by Jesus into the world. His intent is not to remove us from the world, but to be an influence for Him in the world. While on earth Jesus prayed for us to His Father in heaven, “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world…  As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world” (John 17:15, 18). During the time allotted by God to us on this earth, Jesus sows us as good seed for His harvest purposes.
- • As His good seed, we are “the planting of the Lord” (Isaiah 61:3). We are called not just to witness, but to be His witnesses as “the salt of the earth … [and] the light of the world” (Matthew 5:13-14).
- • We can fulfill this seed-ministry every day! As you awaken each morning, remind yourself that we Christians have the privilege of being “Christ’s ambassadors” to a lost, dying world (2 Corinthians 5:20). We are His good seed that He scatters into the world-field, in order to bring forth a harvest of souls unto Him. Look forward to being among people each day, as the Lord’s good seed, salt, and light to a world that desperately needs His gracious salvation.
Luke 8:4-5, 11 [Jesus] told this parable: “A farmer went out to sow his seed…  This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God.”
- • First we saw that Jesus sows us, His people, into the world as good seed. And now we see a second sense of seed. In this parable Jesus says the seed is the Word of God.
- • Consider this parable of Jesus: “He also said, ‘This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how’” (Mark 4:26-27). This parable encourages me greatly. There are times when we will sow the seed of our testimony or a Scripture or the biblical plan of salvation with someone, yet seemingly there is no response. However, be careful not to take too much upon yourself. We plant the seed of the word of God into men’s and women’s hearts, but it is “[only] God who gives the growth” (1 Corinthians 3:7, ESV). You may “not know how” another person’s heart is turned to Jesus Christ in repentance and saving faith, but God does!
- • So as the Lord gives opportunity, sow the seed of God’s Word, the Bible, into your relatives, your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers. Then God can take that good seed sown and cause it to blossom and grow into a fruitful planting. We plant and water the seed of God's Word, but God gives the increase.
- • The apostle Peter wrote, “In your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15). Every day of your life you can be salt, light, and good seed to those around you. On some (not necessarily all) of those days people who have seen the hope that is evident in your life may ask you why. As Peter wrote, be prepared to give an answer. And of course the answer they need is the good seed of the Word of God telling them of salvation and eternal life in the Lord Jesus Christ.
IN SUM - the Two Main Meanings of "the Seed of God":
- (1) God's people - We are the Lord’s good seed, sown by Him into the world. That is what we are to those around us, every waking hour of every day.
- (2) God's Word - We in turn sow the good seed of God’s Word. So be the Lord’s good seed every day, and sow His Word-seed as often as opportunities arise. God will give the harvest!
This is a great honor! Every born-again believer can with confidence declare: "I am a seed of God, called and privileged to be sowing the seed of the Word of God."
Check out our related sermon on "The Seeds You Sow You'll Reap"
Subscribe (always free)
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our sermon on
The Seed of God Is God's Word & God's People
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2015, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.