Benefits of the Word of God That Will Change Your Life
- Summary: Not only are the Scriptures a revelation of God and His truths, they also contain a vast array of benefits that come to us directly from God’s word, the Bible. Permit me to subdue my “pastor’s itch” to comment. I will simply present these benefits of the Word of God and the supporting Scriptures and let them speak to you for your own study and blessing.
Prosperity and good success —
- Joshua 1:8, KJV This book of the law [God’s word] shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Joy to your heart and light to your eyes —
- Psalm 19:8 The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
The ability to live a pure life —
- Psalm 119:9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.
Guidance, illumination, understanding —
- Psalm 119:105, 130 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path…  The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
Life and Health Benefits —
- Proverbs 4:20-22 My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one’s whole body.
Keeps you from falling into temptation —
- Proverbs 6:23-24, NASB For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; and reproofs for discipline are the way of life, to keep you from the evil woman, from the smooth tongue of the adulteress.
Gives us something certain, infallible, and effective —
- Isaiah 55:10-11, Amplified Bible For as the rain and snow come down from the heavens, and return not there again, but water the earth and make it bring forth and sprout, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void [without producing any effect, useless], but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
Provides us a standard of absolute truth —
- John 17:17 [Jesus speaking to God the Father] …your word is truth.
Gives us encouragement and hope —
- Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
Warns us —
- 1 Corinthians 10:11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come.
Cleanses us and makes us holy —
- Ephesians 5:25-26 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word.
Is a spiritual weapon —
- Ephesians 6:17, KJV And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Perfects and completes us —
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17, KJV All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. [vs. 17, Amplified Bible - “…so that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work”]
Exposes our hearts and thoughts to God’s scrutiny —
- Hebrews 4:12, NKJV For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Gives us the new birth, enables us to be “born again” —
- James 1:18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth…
- 1 Peter 1:23, NASB For you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
Is nourishment for spiritual growth —
- 1 Peter 2:2, KJV As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.
It assure us of eternal life with God —
- 1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
As I'm sure you know, this is just a sample of the many benefits of the Word of God. If you wish to study this topic further, I suggest two options: (1) study Psalm 119 in full. It's the Bible's longest chapter and is dedicated entirely to verses about God's word. (2) Another option, which I do often, is to use an online tool like (my favorite) biblegateway.com and do a search for Scriptures that contain phrases like "word of God" or "God's word". May God bless you in your diligent studies of His holy Word.
Check out our collection of Word of God sermons
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Sharing is great!
If you've been blessed by our sermon on the
Life-Changing Benefits of the Word of God
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©1976, revised ©2014, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.