The "Man of God" - A Pattern for a Life That Pleases the Lord
- Summary: The expression "man of God" is one of the Bible's highest praises accorded to mortal man. Every believing man or woman can find a pattern for God-pleasing living in the biblical "man of God."
1 Samuel 2:27 Now a man of God came to Eli and said to him, “This is what the Lord says...”
- •• (1) The man of God hears from God (“...this is what the Lord says”). He is spiritually sensitive and discerning.
•• (2) The man of God, when He has heard from God, speaks without fear, even to prominent people (here, to Eli the priest).
1 Samuel 9:6 But the servant replied, “Look, in this town there is a man of God; he is highly respected, and everything he says comes true. Let’s go there now. Perhaps he will tell us what way to take.”
- •• (3) The man of God should live his life in such a decent and honorable way that he is “highly respected”.
•• (4) He should have a track record of reliability and accuracy in the things of the Lord (“...everything he says comes true.”).
1 Kings 13:1-5 By the word of the Lord a man of God came from Judah to Bethel, as Jeroboam was standing by the altar to make an offering. He cried out against the altar by the word of the LORD: “O altar, altar! This is what the LORD says: ‘A son named Josiah will be born to the house of David. On you he will sacrifice the priests of the high places who now make offerings here, and human bones will be burned on you.’ “ That same day the man of God gave a sign: “This is the sign the LORD has declared: The altar will be split apart and the ashes on it will be poured out.” When King Jeroboam heard what the man of God cried out against the altar at Bethel, he stretched out his hand from the altar and said, “Seize him!” But the hand he stretched out toward the man shriveled up, so that he could not pull it back. Also, the altar was split apart and its ashes poured out according to the sign given by the man of God by the word of the LORD.
- •• (5) A man of God is precisely guided “by the word of the Lord”. He acts on God’s directions, not his own agenda.
•• (6) He does not hold back a negative word from God, even (as here) in the presence of the king.
•• (7) Men of God may have remarkable “signs” accompanying their ministries.
2 Kings 4:8-10 ...(9) She said to her husband, “I know that this man who often comes our way is a holy man of God. Let’s make a small room on the roof and put in it a bed and a table, a chair and a lamp for him. Then he can stay there whenever he comes to us.”
- •• (8) The man of God is recognized by others as a holy person, a good example of the godly life.
•• (9) He is someone whose presence people covet. Over my past 41 years as a born-again Christian, I have greatly enjoyed the fellowship and positive influence on my life of true men of God.
2 Kings 5:14 So [leprous Naaman] went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.
- •• (10) Men of God may have remarkable manifestations of the supernatural power of God including healings, in their ministries.
2 Kings 6:5-7 ...“Oh, my lord,” he cried out, “it was borrowed!” The man of God asked, “Where did it fall?” When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float....
- •• (11) The man of God may be used in miracles.
•• (12) He will undoubtedly be a man of great faith in God.
1 Timothy 6:9-12a ...(10) the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.... (11) But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith.
- •• (13) Men of God refuse to let the love of money affect their life and ministry.
•• (14) The man of God actively pursues that which is godly, including:
- • Righteousness
- •• (15) He is a fighter for the faith.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- •• (16) The man of God is a man of God’s word.
Click the blue links to go to our free
Pentecostal Sermon Library or our
Online Pentecostal Bible Studies
©1997, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.