Be Committed & Faithful to God's 'House,' His Church
- Summary: We'll look at the Psalmist's great love for the “house of God.” In the New Testament, the Church is the house of God!
1 Timothy 3:15, KJV But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- •• Paul wrote to Timothy that “the house of God ... is the church” of God.
•• Jesus Himself had great respect for the house of the living God:
- • Matthew 21:13 “It is written,” he said to them, “ ‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a ‘den of robbers.’ ”
• At age 12, found by His parents in the Temple, Jesus said, “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” (Luke 2:49) Even as a preteen, Jesus Himself was dedicated to being in God's house.
• “...Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...” (Ephesians 5:25).
Psalms 27:4-6 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.  For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.  Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
- •• [vs. 4] “One thing I ask...” — a single-minded focus. I am a “house of the Lord” believer.
•• “This is what I seek” — His House! Not a casual, random following after God. No, but a focused, targeted goal: the House of the Lord.
- • Not just letting it happen, but pursuing it.
• “...to dwell in” His house. An unflagging commitment before God to be in church. And that means being a faithful participant in a local church, not just some vague feeling of belonging to the Lord's universal church without ever gathering with His people.
- •• “All the days of my life” — a lifelong priority.
- • I thank God for the gray hairs I see in church ... and the younger saints, too.
- •• “to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord” — the Church is a place where we are brought into contact with, and into manifestation of, God’s “beauty,” His glory, His splendor, His majesty...
•• “to seek Him in His temple” —
- • “to seek Him” = an active pursuing of the Lord
• “to seek Him” = we come together as a church to seek the Lord, not the meeting of our needs!
[vs. 5] If you approach the house of the Lord as above —
- •• You will be blessed.
•• “In the day of trouble He will keep [you] safe.”
•• “...safe in His dwelling” — there is a corporate safety and strength in the congregation of the Lord.
•• “He will hide [you] in the shelter of His tabernacle” — that hints at a closeness to His presence ... “hidden” under His wings (Ps. 91).
- • Again, “shelter [in] His tabernacle.” The New Testament counterpart, the church, is a place of safety, of security, of well-being.
- •• You’ll find yourself “set...high upon a rock” — Christ the Rock, on whom the Church is built.
[vs. 6] “Then,” anchored and rooted in God's house —
- •• You’ll be “exalted above the enemies who surround [you]” — physical enemies, spiritual enemies, circumstantial ones...
•• You’ll find yourself giving “shouts of joy” — where? ... “at His tabernacle.” Church is a joy-inducing thing.
•• Your heart will overflow with “sing[ing] and mak[ing] music to the Lord” — one of the evidences of the Spirit-filled life (Ephesians 5:18-19).
Psalms 27:4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life...
We invite you to read our related sermon outline entitled The House of God Is Christ's Church.
Shortcuts to Major Topics:
Doctrine & Theology
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Hearing from God
Holy Spirit | Pentecostal Topics
Power of God
Various Topics Not Listed Elsewhere
Victory over the Devil
Word of God
Sharing is great!
If this message has blessed you,
please share it with your friends.
Email them the browser link. Or
you can post the link on your social
media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Thank you for sharing God's Word!
©2005, James H. Feeney.
Pentecostal Sermons and Bible Studies
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.