1 Thessalonians 1:4-6a For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you,  because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. [6a] You became imitators of us and of the Lord.
Acts 17:4 tells us that, as Paul preached in Thessalonica, “some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and not a few prominent women.”
• In our main text above Paul tells us HOW it happened.
(1) “Our GOSPEL” — Our message is the Gospel =
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you....  By this gospel you are saved....  ...Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.
• Here is a biblical definition: "The Gospel" is the Good News of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, so that our sins may be forgiven and we may be saved.
2 Thessalonians 1:8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
• So it is urgently important that people hear and obey the Gospel.
(2) “CAME TO you” — Unsaved people rarely come to us. It is our duty to go to them.
Luke 19:10, KJV For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Mark 16:15, 20, KJV And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature....  And they went forth, and preached every where...
Matthew 28:19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...
(3) “not simply with WORDS” — But we do need words, and specifically the Word of God!
Romans 1:16, KJV For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...
Hebrews 4:12, KJV For the word of God is quick, and powerful...
• God’s Word is awesome, it is living, it is powerful. But the Gospel is to come to people ... “not in word only” (KJV)...
(4) “but also with POWER” —
Romans 15:18-19 I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have SAID AND DONE —  by the power of signs and miracles, through the power of the Spirit. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have FULLY proclaimed the gospel of Christ.