The Lord Jesus Christ:
Name Above All Other Names
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: The name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior, has power over sin, sickness, demons, death, and more. The bible encourages us to "run to" His Name and find safety.
Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
- •• We in New Testament times now know the full name. The name of the Lord Jesus Christ (or Christ Jesus the Lord, or other combinations of the three words) occurs more than 80 times in the New Testament.
•• It is the name above all others — Philippians 2:9-11 ...God ... gave him the name that is above every name,  that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  and every tongue confess that JESUS CHRIST is LORD, to the glory of God the Father.
•• Jesus' name is to us a source of strength, of safety. It is a strong tower. We should "run to it."
- • In various encounters with demons over the years, I have always invoked the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ against the evil spirits. Jesus' name always prevails!
• Let’s see some more aspects of the power of that strong tower — the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Acts 2:21, 36-38 “And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” ...  “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ”  When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
- •• We experience salvation by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- • Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.
- •• Water baptism in the triune Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (click the link for a detailed study on water baptism, including teaching on being baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ).
- • [Amplified, vs. 38] “...for the forgiveness of and release from your sins”
• The Church-Bride of Christ takes on the name of the Bridegroom Jesus.
Mark 16:15-18 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation....  And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;  they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
- •• Supernatural signs occur in the all-powerful name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- • Luke 10:17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”
• “In my name ... they will speak in new tongues” — In all four Gospels, John the Baptist identifies Jesus as the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit.
• Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”
• Acts 9:34 "Aeneas...Jesus Christ heals you."
• Revelation 19:10 The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
John 16:23-24 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.  Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
- •• Answered prayers in Jesus’ Name, including prayers for healing.
- • “Ask [the Father] in my name...and you will receive.”
Matthew 12:17-18a, 21 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:  “Here is my servant whom I have chosen ...  In his name the nations will put their hope.”
- •• Including Islamic nations! Hindu nations! All nations!
- • Christ's Name is the HOPE of the nations!
• Including the USA! His Name is a strong tower in our midst.
Acts 4:17-18 “But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn these men to speak no longer to anyone in this name.”  Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.
- •• His Name is so powerful that the devil and his people will try to stop you from using it.
- • People curse and swear using the name of the Lord. The devil hates that name.
• You never hear people cuss using the name of Buddha or Allah.
- • The Name of the Lord is a strong tower, powerful and safe for you.
• It’s the Name above all other names.
• Call on that name for salvation.
• Have His Name called on you in water baptism.
• Call on His Name for the mighty baptism with the Holy Ghost.
• Call on His Name to see signs, wonders, gifts of the Spirit, healings, demons flee.
• Call on God the Father in prayer in Jesus’ Name. “Ask and you will receive.”
• Speak Christ's Name to the nations; it is their great hope.
• The devil will try to stop you from calling on His Name. Don’t let him!
• Let the Name above all other names be often on your lips.
Click the blue links to go to our
Free Pentecostal Sermons or
our Pentecostal Bible Studies
©2005, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.