Radical Christians: Faithful, Dedicated, Zealous, and Devoted to God
Summary: I once heard a preacher thunder from the pulpit, "Let's stop pussyfootin' around!" He is exactly right! God's call upon His people is for radical followers — radical in commitment, radical in faithfulness and prayer and devotion to the Lord and His work on earth.
“RADICAL” = Departing markedly from the usual or customary
•• That’s what Christianity needs — more radicals! More zealous, ardent, fully committed devotees of Jesus Christ.
•• A challenge today — Will you become a radical Christian? Will you be a Christian not satisfied with “the usual or customary”?
Romans 12:2a Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
•• Christian radicals are those who stand out from the world. They are not like the world.
• Radical believers will “depart from the usual or customary.”
• To achieve that, we need our minds renewed by God and by His Word.
Acts 4:23-24a [24a] When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God.
Acts 12:5, 12 So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him....  he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered and were praying.
In Acts 3 we see Peter and John going to the “hour of prayer”.
•• Some radical group prayer. I have seen this in awesome preservice prayer times in many churches. The early church gathered together for prayer.
• “They raised their voices together in prayer” = group prayer.
• Become a radical — departing from the “usual or customary” — and come to preservice prayer!
Psalm 55:17, KJVEvening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
•• Radical personal prayer — evening, morning and noon. Try that. Three times daily.
• My first pastor used to say, “You are as spiritual as you are prayerful.”
Philippians 2:14-15 ... so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.
•• Give off some radical moral and spiritual light that actually shines as light in the darkness of the corrupt world we live in.
• Be willing to take a deep-seated, unwavering stand for holiness.
• Be willing to endure the scorn of others if you pursue a “blameless and pure” walk.
• You will shine, and God will be pleased.
Acts 8:29-30 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”  Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
• As a young Christian just having moved to Alaska in 1971, I used to attend Abbott Loop Chapel's Sunday morning and evening services, also Thursday evening, plus Peters Creek Chapel's Wednesday evening service.
• We were a bunch of churchgoing radicals!
• It was a time of rapid spiritual growth.
• SVC [the church in which I preached this] in 2004 = 31% of Sunday attenders came back for the Wednesday night service.
• SVC in 2005 to date = 25% came back on Wednesday night. That is not a good trend.