Only One Way to Heaven | "All Roads" Do Not Lead There
Summary: You hear people say, “All roads lead to God.” However, the bible exposes this as a tragic error that is leading millions to eternity in hell. By contrast, numerous Scriptures plainly declare that the one and only way to God is through the Savior, Jesus Christ. Let’s see what the bible clearly teaches about God's one and only plan of salvation — that is, Jesus Christ!
Acts 16:30-31, KJV ...Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
•• The apostle Paul was asked by the Philippian jail keeper, “What must I do to be saved?” Paul’s immediate response was to exhort the jailer to “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ” and he would be saved. And today, as then, that is the one correct explanation of how to be saved.
•• Paul did not offer or suggest multiple roads to God. He set forth Jesus Christ as the pathway to salvation.
•• Jesus Himself stated this same truth, as the next Scripture shows.
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
•• The way, the truth, the life! Not “a way”. Not one of many ways to finding God, but “the way” (singular). In one brief sentence, Jesus is the way to go to heaven and to God's presence.
•• ”I am the way ... to the Father,” said Jesus.
• One dismisses Jesus’ statement at one’s eternal peril, for Jesus is the only way to heaven and the presence of God the Father.
• Or one can accept Jesus as declaring an all-important truth — that is, that He and He alone is the pathway for men and women to come to God.
• Jesus did not allow for other avenues to salvation. He plainly said that “no one comes to the Father except through Me.”
•• The apostle Peter joined Jesus and the apostle Paul in declaring the one and only way to salvation, as the following verses show.
Acts 4:10, 12 [The apostle Peter said] Then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed....  Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”
•• Peter’s words are unequivocally clear about God's determined plan of salvation: “Salvation is found in no one else" [than Jesus Christ, vs. 10].
• Not in good works, not in good intentions, not in trying hard. Sadly, millions of people have fallen for the error that says our good works will surely earn us a place in heaven. But the Bible clearly indicates that God's "great salvation" is by the Lord's grace, not by our good works.
• Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.
• Titus 3:5, KJV Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us.
•• Likewise, Peter asserted that no other living being — past, present, or future — could lead us to God and to salvation. He said, “There is no other name [than Jesus’ name, vs. 10] ... by which we must be saved.”
• Great men like Abraham, Moses, Paul, and Peter cannot save us.
• The heroes of other religions — Buddha, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, etc. — certainly cannot save us.
•• Let’s examine in the following verses a variety of insights into our main theme — that is, that Jesus Christ is the one and only way to God and to eternal salvation. First, let’s look at some of the insights offered by the apostle Paul.
Ephesians 2:17-18 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.  For through him [Jesus] we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.
•• Paul states succinctly that it is through Jesus that both Jew and Gentile “have access to the Father”.
• And now it is through Jesus — and His death, burial, and resurrection — that we have access to God the Father in heaven. The question of how to get to heaven and the presence of God is now eternally answered: through Jesus Christ! His crucifixion and resurrection secured our salvation. And His own words laid out the "one way" — "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me"(John 14:6).
1 Corinthians 2:1-2 When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
•• The Book of Acts relates the story of the conversion of Saul of Tarsus (Acts 9:1-22), now known to us as Paul the apostle. This persecutor of the early church had failed to find salvation in his strict adherence to Judaism. Then he found salvation, eternal life, and peace with God through his new faith in Jesus Christ.
•• Thereafter Paul had one dominant message — “Jesus Christ and Him crucified”!
• Paul preached Jesus Christ as Savior — Jesus, who had died for our sins, was buried, and rose again on the third day. That, he said, was “the Gospel”, the Good News (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). To offer any other savior, or way of salvation, is bad news!
1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
•• Too many people in this world try to lay some other foundation for salvation — for example, the doing of good works; living a decent, honorable life; going to church, etc. These are certainly good things to do, but they are not the foundation for salvation.
• “No one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.” Jesus and Jesus alone is the only foundation for our salvation. He alone is the Rock upon which we can take our eternal stand. As the hymn says, “All other ground is sinking sand.”
1 Timothy 2:3-6 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,  who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,  who gave himself as a ransom for all men...
•• Paul writes to young Pastor Timothy that the one and only mediator between God and man is the Son of God, who came to earth and became man for us, that is, Jesus Christ. He is the one mediator, the only go-between between lost sinners and a holy God.
•• Now let’s examine a number of very clear Scriptural declarations by the apostle John of the unique place Jesus occupies in the salvation of our souls.
John 3:16-18, 36 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son....  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.
•• John 3:16 is among the bible’s most famous verses. It promises eternal life to those who come in faith to Jesus. But verses 18 and 36 add some important warnings.
• Vs. 18 — “Whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.” To reject Jesus is to incur God’s condemnation.
• Vs. 36 — Eternal life is mentioned again as the reward for those who come in faith to Jesus. But we read the dire warning: “Whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.” It is a fatal decision to reject God’s only provision for salvation, Jesus Christ.
John 6:66-68 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.  “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.  Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
•• At a time when some of Jesus’ disciples were leaving Him, Peter spoke words of wisdom for seekers of all generations: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” Peter knew that there was no other source, no other words, no other avenue that led to salvation than the words of truth that Jesus spoke about Himself and God the Father.
John 8:23-24 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.  I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am [the one I claim to be], you will indeed die in your sins.”
•• In contrast to all other men, including His own apostles, Jesus asserted, “I am from above.” His origin, His rightful place, and His current place of enthronement, is heaven itself.
•• That being said, Jesus warned His hearers that if they did not believe in Him and in His words, they would die in their sins. Again, He was making a clear, unequivocal statement that it was through Him alone that we would be saved from our sins.
1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense — Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.  He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
•• Who speaks to the Father in defense of us sinners? Jesus Christ!
•• Who is the “atoning sacrifice for our sins”? Again, Jesus.
•• The Bible declares us all guilty sinners (Romans 3:23). What remedy, what redemptive plan of salvation, has God provided for that? Only one — “We have one who speaks to the Father in our defense — Jesus Christ.”
1 John 4:14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
•• All roads do not lead to God. It is God, not man, who has the right to determine how lost sinners will have their relationship established with Him. And He has determined that His Son Jesus will be that divine provision for our salvation.
• “The Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.”
1 John 2:23No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
•• John echoes Jesus' words that He, Jesus, is the only way to God the Father. He declares in no uncertain terms that "no one who denies the Son has the Father".
1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
•• It is an eternal disaster to look elsewhere for salvation, for “he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.”
In closing this bible study, let’s look at two final Scripture portions, both from the writer of the epistle to the Hebrews.
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
•• Why is Jesus the one and only way to God? Because it is uniquely Jesus, God’s Son, who was chosen by God to“taste death for everyone.”
• As Paul wrote, it is Good News (“gospel”) that “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3) and “was raised to life for our justification” (Romans 4:25).
• We serve a crucified and risen Savior, the only one God has ever appointed to such a glorious task.
Hebrews 9:27-28 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,  so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.
•• This same crucified, risen, exalted and only Savior Jesus Christ “will appear a second time ... to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him.”
• Are you waiting for Him as Savior? Or have you fallen for the eternally fatal deception that says, “All roads lead to God”?
• Jesus is waiting warmly, graciously, and openly today for you to come to Him for salvation. Believe in Him as the crucified and risen Son of God. Bring your sins to Him in sincere sorrow for forgiveness. And experience His welcoming you into the family of God and into the sure hope of spending an indescribably glorious eternity with Him and with God the Father.
• If you desire some additional help in finding salvation and peace with God through Jesus Christ, evangelist Billy Graham offers clear guidance on how to be saved and have eternal life.