The Promises of God in the Bible Are True
God Is Faithful!
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: God is faithful and true in everything that He says and does. So you can count on the promises of God in the Bible to be absolutely trustworthy.
2 Peter 1:4 He has given us his very great and precious promises.
- •• There are thousands of God's promises in the Bible. Learn to receive them, because God is faithful! There are no broken Bible promises. They are the sacred word of a faithful God who never breaks His word.
- •• Today's message: “You Can Count On the Promises of God.” Millions of Christians have drawn great hope from the inspiring words of the well-known song "Standing on the Promises of God". Today we will see why.
Genesis 28:12-15 [15b] I will not leave you UNTIL I HAVE DONE what I have PROMISED you.
- •• God’s absolute trustworthiness has been consistently demonstrated over a long time. The Scripture record shows unequivocally that God keeps His promises. They are His commitment to us, His guarantee to do what He says He will do.
- •• Hebrews 6:12 ...imitate those who through faith and PATIENCE inherit what has been promised.
- •• God's promises were faithfully fulfilled in Old Testament Israel, in Christ’s time on earth, and today.
Short-term promises or long — you can depend on God's promises.
Numbers 23:19 God is NOT a man, that he should LIE, nor a son of man, that he should CHANGE HIS MIND. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
- •• Don’t evaluate God’s reliability like a human’s.
- •• God will never lie, never deceive, never mislead you.
- •• And God will not change His mind.
- •• You can trust God, you can rely on God, to keep His promises in every detail. They are His infallible pledge to us.
If God has made promises in His word the Bible, those Bible promises are TRUE, and God will not change His mind. You can COUNT ON the promises of God.
Joshua 21:43-45 So the LORD gave Israel all the land he had sworn....  The LORD gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn....  Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
Joshua 23:14 ...not one of all the good promises the LORD your God gave you has failed. Every promise has been fulfilled; not one has failed.
- •• God promised Israel land ... promised them rest.
- •• EVERY promise of God to Israel was FULFILLED.
The Bible is a historical record of the ABSOLUTE RELIABILITY of God’s promises. The Bible's promises have always proven trustworthy, so you can count on them. God keeps His promises!
Psalms 119:140 Your promises have been THOROUGHLY TESTED, and your servant loves them.
- •• Over thousands of years, God's Bible promises have been “thoroughly tested” and found to be true — for example, healing:
- • Jehovah-Rapha healed Abraham’s wife’s barrenness.
- • Five centuries later He still healed (the snakebitten Israelites in the wilderness)
- • 1,500 years later He still healed (Gospels, Acts...)
- • Another 2,000 years later He still heals today!
Over the space of 4,000 years (from Abraham to now), God's promises in the Bible have been thoroughly tested and found to be trustworthy.
Psalms 145:13 ...The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.
- •• “God is faithful” (2 Cor. 1:18). You can rely on God.
- •• “Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it” (1 Thessalonians 5:24). There are no broken promises with God. If He has spoken, He will do it!
- •• Hebrews 10:23 “...he who promised is faithful.”
You can count on all the promises of God because the Promiser is faithful.
Romans 4:13, 16 It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith....  Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace...
- •• “The promise comes by faith ... by grace.”
- • God is a God of infinite grace.
- • You can’t earn or deserve God's promises. They are ours by grace!
If you can believe God, you can COUNT ON His promises, because they are FREE gifts of His grace.
Romans 4:19-21 ... Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God,  being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.
- •• The promises of God don’t depend on your abilities, but God’s.
- • Abraham was 100, Sarah 90 when Isaac was born. They themselves had zero ability to bear children.
- • The key was Abraham’s confidence that “GOD had power to DO what He had PROMISED.”
If you can focus on GOD’s unlimited power, then you can count on that power to fulfill God’s promises.
2 Corinthians 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.
- •• All the promises of God are “YES in CHRIST”! You can depend on God's promises, because Jesus is their guarantee.
- • God says, “I promise” ... Jesus says, “YES!”
- • Jesus is the assurance, the surety, of God’s promises.
You can count on God's Bible promises because Jesus is saying, “YES and AMEN” to them on your behalf. Always remember that Jesus is our assurance that the Scripture promises will be fulfilled.
- • Short-term promise or long — you can count on the promises of God in the Bible.
- • If God has promised, His word is true. His commitment to keep His word is 100%. God will not change His mind. You can depend on the promise.
- • The Bible is a historical record of the absolute reliability of God’s promises. The Bible's promises have always proven trustworthy, so you can rely on them.
- • Over the space of 4,000 years (from Abraham to now), God’s promises have been thoroughly tested and found true.
- • You can count on the promises of God because the Promiser is faithful.
- • If you can believe God, you can count on His promises, because they are free gifts of His grace.
- • If you can focus on God's unlimited power, then you can rely on that power to fulfill God’s promises.
- • You can count on the promises of God because Jesus is saying, "Yes" and "Amen" to them on your behalf.
Click the blue links to go to our
Free Online Pentecostal Sermons
or our Pentecostal Bible Studies
©2004, 2015, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.