Our Culture Is a Corrupting Influence on the Church!
Summary: Jesus sent His Church into the world to be the “salt of the earth” and the “light of the world”. But the opposite is happening all over America — the culture is changing the Church!
•• Christian divorce rates have surpassed the general public! Christians have fallen for the culture’s mantra that personal fulfillment is more important than marriage vows.
• “God wants me happy” has replaced “God wants me to be obedient and faithful to His Word”.
•• Thousands of evangelical churches have adopted the “market-driven” approach to their cities and try to woo people in as satisfied customers. So preaching about sin, holiness, and divine judgment are avoided as being too confrontational towards society.
•• Much that passes for “worship” in contemporary churches would be difficult to distinguish from a secular rock concert!
•• The late Francis Schaeffer called this embracing of our culture “the great evangelical disaster” and said further that “the evangelical church has accommodated [itself] to the world”.
Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
Acts 2:40-41 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”
•• Several key commands are seen in these Scriptures:
1) Do not be conformed to the world, to our culture.
2) Do not choose to be “friends with” the culture.
3) We are to be saved from our corrupt generation.
• The oxymoron called the Christian Feminist movement is firmly entrenched in many denominations and thousands of churches.
• Homosexuality is routinely accepted in a growing number of American churches.
• The “sipping saints” philosophy is widespread.
• Christians watch any and all movies and TV shows, no matter how rotten.
• Standards of modesty in clothing have been patterned after what our culture believes, not what God’s Word says.
•• God wants His Church to be the “salt of the earth” and the “light of the world”. In other words, He wants the Church to be a positive influence on the world. But, sadly, in America at least, the opposite is happening. Let’s look specifically at five areas.
1) Women’s ordination
1 Timothy 2:11-14 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.  I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.  For Adam was formed first, then Eve.  And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
•• In churches throughout America this command of Scripture is routinely violated. Women are being ordained to ministry and exercising authority over the men in the congregation in thousands of churches. But the Word of God says that He does “not permit” this.
• I have written elsewhere at length on the issue of the ordination of women. I invite you to read that bible study to see biblical answers to the unrelenting feminist pressure on this topic.
2) Acceptance of Homosexuality
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders  nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.  And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
•• The practice of homosexuality is being increasingly tolerated in the churches.
• Hollywood routinely glorifies this sin.
• One denomination recently ordained a homosexual bishop.
•• Refuse to accept our secular culture’s “tolerant” position on this flagrant contradiction of God’s word.
Proverbs 20:1, KJV Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
Romans 14:20-21 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.  It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
•• Alcohol — its effect on our culture is disastrous!