May God Protect You from Harm
by Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.
- Summary: We live in perilous times in a dangerous world. God's protection from harm is a reassuring promise in the face of the dangers we face. Come and see the bible's assurances that God will safeguard you from harm.
Proverbs 1:33 ...whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.
- •• Would you like to “live in safety...without fear of harm”?
- • That's very important in these dangerous times.
• Violent crime, terrorism, tsunamis, hurricanes...
- •• God says about His promised protection, “You’ve got it. Just listen to me!”
- • Let’s go to the bible and “listen to” what God says about our being protected by Him.
Psalm 91:9-16 If you make the Most High your dwelling — even the LORD, who is my refuge —  then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.  For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;  they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.  You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.  “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.  With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
- •• Some wonderful promises of God's protection:
- • No harm will befall you.
• No disaster will come upon you.
• His angels will safeguard you.
• You will be safe from the lion, cobra, and serpent.
• God will rescue you.
• God will protect you and be with you in trouble.
• God will deliver you.
- •• Why? What will secure God’s protection for you?
- 1) “Make the Most High your dwelling ... your refuge.”
2) “Because he loves me ... I will rescue Him.”
3) “I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.”
4) “He will call upon me, and I will answer...”
Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Proverbs 14:26 He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.
- •• 5) Fear the Lord!
- • It will bring angels to your defense.
• It will provide a refuge for your children.
Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
Proverbs 12:21 No harm befalls the righteous, but the wicked have their fill of trouble.
- •• 6) Walk blamelessly, uprightly, before the Lord.
- • God will be a shield to you.
• “No harm befalls the righteous,” in stark contrast to the wicked.
Proverbs 16:7 When a man’s ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.
- •• 7) When your “ways please the Lord, He makes even [your] enemies live at peace with [you].”
- • Remember that when you read of the latest terrorism. God will safeguard you even in the midst of your enemies.
Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
- •• 8) “Run to ... the name of the Lord” [Jesus Christ].
- • There is no other name so powerful on our behalf.
Exodus 12:12-13 On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn — both men and animals — and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.  The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
- •• 9) Make sure that you have entered into relationship with Jesus through His blood.
- • His blood protects you from the worst harm — the wrath of God due to our sins.
• It can surely safeguard us from lesser dangers.
Psalm 41:1-2 Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.  The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes.
- •• 10) Have regard for the weak. That will incur for you:
- • God’s deliverance from trouble ... His protection ... His preservation of your life ... His blessing ... His safeguarding of you from the hands of your enemies.
• You regard “the weak” and God will regard you!
Psalm 63:7-9a Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. They who seek my life will be destroyed.
vs. 8, 1978 NIV version = “I stay close to you.”
- •• 11) “Stay close [to God] ... cling to” Him.
- • What safer place could there be!
Click the blue links to go to our free
Pentecostal Sermon Central or
our Pentecostal Bible Studies
©2006, James H. Feeney. Copyright statement.